Tips on selection of masking tape and surface prep for sealant and painting work
Painting and sealant applications are 2 important activities in construction finishing, having huge impact on the overall finishing quality of civil and industrial construction, in which masking tape plays an extremely important role in finishing quality of painting and sealant work.
In this article, we will summarize key notes in surface preparation and masking tape selection for a perfect finishing edge of paint and sealant.
Tape removal waiting times Recommended Temperatures Remove at an angle Slow & Steady Removal by VTS team
GENERAL FACTORS TO NOTE - CAUTIONS
• Once you have finished painting, allow the paint surface to dry before removing the tape.
• How long you wait will depend upon on the drying time of your paint product – it must be touch dry.
• If painting more than one coat it is advised to wait till the last coat has sufficient time to dry before removal.
• Remove tape at air temperatures of between +15c to +40c
• The removal at higher temperatures increases the risk of adhesive transfer & at colder temperatures; the tape is more brittle with the potential for tape tearing.
• Ensure that the masked substrate temperature is at least +10c on removal, this will also assist in reducing any tape tearing or residue issues.
• Recommended to remove the tape back onto itself at an approx. 45 angle, this will assist with any residue issues and a cleaner edge.
• If any adhesive is removing try a 90 angle, also if any paint is coming away with the tape use the edge of a painter’s knife while removing.
• Adhesive tapes must be pulled off slowly, steadily & never in jerks, this will reduce the risks with adhesive residue issues & tape tearing. A heavy coating of paint on the tape edge could cause tearing, be aware to try and limit the amount of paint build up in this case. If the adhesive is facing the direct sunlight (UV rays), this can cause adhesive residue issues on removal. Be sure to select our premium acrylic adhesive to limit any issues in this case.
• It is very important to remove the masking tape when the paint is dry not wet and/or sealant not completely cured.
Tape removal waiting times
Remove at an angle
Slow & Steady Removal
by VTS team